Migration consists of mapping the data fields of the original application’s database with the Drupal’s database. It can be a simple task, if the tools and scripts are easily available to perform migration. Sometimes, the tools may not be available as the applications may be uncommon or may have complicated database schema or lack documentation.
If you find that your website is not able to handle large traffic or working slow or you feel that it lacks some advanced features that are useful for your site. Nothing can be better that to opt for migrating your existing website to Drupal to make it lucrative for your online business. For this, you need to know the best possible ways for secure and quick site conversion.
Why Drupal A Best Choice For Migration!
- Drupal is undoubtedly, a developer friendly platform. It is easy to understand its features and make modifications according to your requirements. Developer prefers Drupal to other CMS because the consistency of code and wonderfully designed architecture helps develop the site comfortably.
- Its robust taxonomy system for categorizing the content is one of the best features of Drupal. It allows us to develop a set of descriptive terms and relate content with those terms and makes it possible to acclimate Drupal for a diverse set of content management needs.
- The modular architecture is also one of the reasons to go for Drupal as this approach allows creating various kinds of websites for improved online presence.
If you are planning to migrate your existing website to Drupal, the best way is to hire Drupal developer, who is expert in handling the migration process in quick Turn Around Time. Drupal provides numerous benefits to its users with a number of useful features. To make the best use of these advanced features, many website owners are heading towards upgrading their Drupal versions.
Here Is A Quick Guide To Help You With The Migration:
- Download and install the Drupal website, if you want to change the server, get the domain name, hosting, and ensure that these are available online.
- Make sure that you have taken the back up of your site to eliminate any migration risk. You can either save the whole data on your USB flash drive, hard drive, or use the back up option on your hosting provider.
- Inform your customers about migrating to another platform, so that they are ready to experience the new look.
- Now, get the FTP client credentials including username, password, and host name for both the existing and the Drupal websites. This information can be obtained from the hosting provider.
- The CMS page includes a free demo that helps you perform the migration flawlessly. Go to the CMS page and hit ‘Start Free Demo’ button.
- Provide the URLs of both the sites in the corresponding fields of migration wizard. Now, select the type of CMS platforms to move further.
- Create the connection between the websites.
- Proceed with the migration by following the onscreen instructions. With the help of free demo, you will be able to check the front-end and back-end of your new website. Then, complete the migration.
Consider The Following Points While Performing Drupal Migration:
- Content is usually imported into Drupal in its proprietor CCK (Content Construction Kit) format.
- If your website employs table, then you can use Table wizard to expose them to Views. Now, use the Drupal module in order to copy the old tables into CCK.
- You can use the Drupal’s Node Convert module to convert the imported node modules type into other node types.
Manual migration may take a lot of time, as it requires copying the entire data from an existing site to the Drupal site. Remember that this procedure needs extensive programming knowledge. Another way is to get the professional assistance by hiring a web developer.