Quick facts about Drupal
- Type of software: Content Management Framework (CMF), Content Management System (CMS) and blog software.
- Author: Dries Buytaert
- Written in: PHP
- Operating System: Cross-platform
- License: GPLv2 or later
- Official website: www.drupal.org
The standard version of Drupal is known as Drupal core. Drupal 8 is under development however, no release date for the same has been set. The latest version that is currently in use is Drupal 7. This was released on the 5th of January 2011.
What is Drupal 7?
Drupal 7 is regarded as one of the best free open-source web development software for online content and communities. Some of the busiest websites on the Internet run on Drupal. Regardless of the niche of the website, Drupal 7 can be used to develop and launch them. Web masters are depending on Drupal 7 to design single page personal websites to websites with sophisticated features. Drupal 7 is commonly used in
- Business community websites
- Community portal websites
- E-commerce sites
- International websites
- Business websites
- Resource directories
- Social networking websites
How to set up and getting started with Drupal 7
Drupal is a user-friendly software. Users can download and install this tool the hassle-free way. Here’s how you can get started using Drupal 7.
The latest version of this software can be downloaded and installed from Drupal’s official website www.drupal.org. Before you install Drupal 7 you must ensure that your device meets a few requirements. A majority of web hosts meet the requirements. However, here’s a list of Drupal’s minimum requirements:
- Web server
Microsoft IIS, Apache or Nginx
Drupal 7 requires PHP 5.2.5 version or higher. However 5.3 is highly recommended as a few models require 5.3 version.
- Disk space
For installing Drupal you will require 15 Megabytes. Modules, themes, database content, media and backup files require 60 MB.
- Database server
Drupal 7 requires MySQL 5.0.15 or a higher version. It must include PDO, PostgreSQL 8.3 or higher version with PDO, SQLite 3.3.7 or higher version.
- Drupal can be downloaded and copied from here: http://drupal.org/project/drupal
- The next thing that you have to do is decide on the version of Drupal that you wish to use.
- Select the correct “tar.gz” or “zip” file link for your respective Drupal version.
- Save the file on your device.
- Do remember the file name and the location where you have saved it in your system.
Having downloaded Drupal you must run the installation script by following the simple steps.
- You must navigate to the base URL of your website using your web browser. Once you land on your new website you will come across the Drupal installation page. You will be guided through the installation wizard through the process of setting up your Drupal website.
- In ‘Select an installation profile page’ choose the option ‘Standard’. Then select the option ‘Save and Continue’.
- You will come across ‘Choose language page’. Click on ‘English’. Select ‘Save and Continue’.
- Select the type of data that you are using on the ‘Database configuration page’. Click ‘Save and Continue’.
- On the ‘Configure site page’ you need to enter name of your website, email address and password to manage your account. Click on ‘Save and Continue’.
Drupal is successfully installed. Choose the option ‘View your new site link’.