Outlook is most famous email client among all users. In our daily routine we send and receive emails. But what if our source of communication will not work properly? Although Outlook is a very good email client but still some time Outlook error work as a barrier between user and sender and due to these barriers user fails to perform desired operation. In my post I will discuss few most common Outlook errors and their appropriate solution.
Most common Error with Outlook
1. Send and Receive Error
Many of us always complaint about Outlook‘s send and receive error. Usually we click on send button and continue our work but after some time we get to know email are not received by user or may be email is still present in sender’s mailbox. The most common reasons notices behind this error are:
- Improper configuration of Outlook Profile: Most of time user’s outlook profile is not configured properly. During profile configuration some files remain unconfirmed and creates problem while sending and receiving emails. To resolve this problem users are advised to create a new Outlook profile.
- Change in Location of PST file folder: When user upgrades their system Windows7 to Windows 8 or from some other operating system then they usually receive this error: “Object Not Found Error”. Outlook does not have permission to write the outlook data files. To resolve this error user need to change in settings of registry editor.
NOTE: Make sure while doing modification in registry editor first take back up of all files.
2. Unable to open default email-folders
Outlook profile has a default location to save Outlook file folders. But sometime due to system up gradation or changes user forgot to adjust the setting of outlook file folder that’s why user faces problem in opening of email folders. Solution of problem:
- Locate Outlook.exe: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12.
- Now do right click on outlook.exe and select option Properties
- Switch to Compatibility tab and disable check box labeled as ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’.
- Save settings
- Now restart Outlook to see changes
3. Errors with .dat files
.dat files plays very important role with Outlook. While upgrading or doing modifications with system sometimes .dat files got corrupt and user has to face problems while working with Outlook. Here I am sharing a list of all .dat files to be checked:
Outcmd.dat – Located in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
Frmcache.dat – Located in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\
Extend.dat – Located in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
Views.dat – Located in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
User must go and check for these .dat files if they found any file got corrupt then it should be renamed or deleted.
NOTE: User is in need to recreate file named as Outcmd.dat. Role of this file is to save customized settings of toolbar.
4. Error 0x8004210A
“The operation timed out while waiting for a response from the receiving server”. This is most common error faced by Outlook user. Most common reason behind this error is:
- Antivirus Scan
- Slow Net Connection
- Firewall Prevention
Every user required safety and security of their crucial data. To maintain this safety and security user install anti-virus in their systems. Although anti virus’s saves user data from corruption but also affects user email application programs. Firewall also plays same role. To resolve these error users must disable their antivirus.
5. Errors due to PST file Corruption
PST file is base file of MS-Outlook. PST file holds all information of user mailbox. Once it got corrupt then user has to face big data loss. Common reasons behind PST file corruption
- Hardware Incompatibility
- Sudden shut down of system
- Accidently close of windows system
- Every outlook user is advised to take proper care of their PST file.
Precautions user should take to avoid PST File corruption:
- Wait till Outlook process get complete
- Don’t let PST file size exceed to defined size
Solution: To deal with corrupt PST file users are advised to use inbuilt utility provide by Microsoft. However scanpst.exe don’t provide user assurance of no data loss during conversion that’s why it’s good if user can use third party utility to scan corrupt PST file. A recommended tool for repair corrupted Outlook PST file is Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair. This tool can repair the corrupted PST file doesn’t matter that what was the cause of corruption. To know the working of tool in real life scenario, you can test the demo version of this tool available at:www.scanpst.net